Monday, April 7, 2014

Advice on starting a food truck

Over the past year we have been able to really dial in our business, receive nice accolades and press coverage all while really beginning to let Crock Spot run with much less struggle.  Anyone who is looking to start a food truck business does their due diligence by reaching out to the community they want to work in and starts asking questions.  I have had many conversations from local people here in Denver to concepts in Detroit and Florida all looking for advice and seemingly that nudge to sack up and start. 

I also recently read an article and why you shouldn’t start a food truck business.  It listed everything from tough regulations to the unpredictability and even timeliness of your concept.  All of this is true, a touch negative, but without a doubt all valid points to consider before you start.

On the whole, there is no recipe for success in this industry, just like any other industry.  I like to think that I have at least developed an opinion based on what I have seen work or fail.  I have seen entrepreneurs have the shiniest most expensive truck on the scene close shop their first year.  I have seen artisan popsicles go from one bike cart to three to a brick and mortar in less than a year.  I have seen partnerships collapse, I have seen collaborations that blossom.  To sum it all up, if you want to start a business, think:  Do I have what it takes to shoulder through the hard times?  Rest assured, there will be hard times. 

I believe that bracing for the emotional aspect of business ownership is the most important aspect of starting.  Being able to stay positive even when your truck is with the mechanic and you had to miss out on a $2000 gig.  Being able to say, “we’ll get them next time” when you go home with $80 after an event coordinator told you it would be the event of the year.  Like any business, if you can make it through two years of hand to mouth, your business will start to grow with much less effort.  Like any business, do not quit your job if you have any doubt; that just means you’re not ready.  Once you can make friends with that doubt and really feel this is what you are supposed to do, make the leap and enjoy the ride!


I love owning my own business with my soon to be wife.  I love creating good healthy food options for people.  I love working hard and letting the business work for me.  I love being able to talk about being an entrepreneur.   I love my life but it wasn’t just handed to me because of a trend.  We worked our asses off for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment